Copying A Disk

Pete Holsberg pjh42 at pobox.com
Sat Jul 12 20:01:42 UTC 2008

NoOp has written on 7/12/2008 3:30 PM:
> On 07/12/2008 12:10 PM, Pete Holsberg wrote
>> Thanks, Chris. ddrescue terminated with 0 bytes rescued! I guess this is
>> toast, as someone suggested.
>>
>> Thanks for your help and patience.
>>

> You might try some of these:
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>  [http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk]
>
> They all contain some pretty good disk recovery tools.

You gave me an idea so I downloaded a copy of Spinrite so I could try to
recover the files on the machine that created them, w/o introducing USB,
etc.

Spinrite sees Drive 0, part 1 as NTFS or OS/2 HPFS followed by an
unpartitioned gap. And it runs the recovery program w/o errors through
21.51% (8,603 MB) of the drive before it invokes it's "dynamic data
recovery" thing.

So why is Spinrite able to see the drive when Winders and Linux cannot???