UpdateManager Ate My Soundcard! [update on my update]

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 9 17:20:13 UTC 2008

David Armour <d.f.armour <at> shaw.ca> writes:
> Bart Silverstrim <bsilver <at> chrononomicon.com> writes:
>
> > I had to install libflashsupport to get Firefox working with Youtube,
<snip>
> > try completely removing then reinstalling libflashsupport?
<snip>
> working better before all this UM kerfluffle happened. A bug-tracker
> thread lists the libflashsupport bug as fixed, for the most part.

Some of the stuff I tried since my update:

dave at workhorse:~$ pulseaudio -nC
W: main.c: RLIMIT_RTPRIO failed: Operation not permitted
dave at workhorse:~$ sudo pulseaudio -nC
W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is
specified).
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> list-modules
1 module(s) loaded.
    index: 0
	name: <module-cli>
	argument: <exit_on_eof=1>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
>>> list-sinks
0 sink(s) available.
>>> list-sources
0 source(s) available.
>>> list-clients
1 client(s) logged in.
    index: 0
	name: <STDIN/STDOUT client>
	driver: <pulsecore/cli.c>
	owner module: <0>
>>> stat
Memory blocks currently allocated: 0, size: 0 B.
Memory blocks allocated during the whole lifetime: 0, size: 0 B.
Memory blocks imported from other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
Memory blocks exported to other processes: 0, size: 0 B.
Total sample cache size: 0 B.
Default sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default sink name: none
Default source name: none
Memory blocks of type POOL: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type POOL_EXTERNAL: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type APPENDED: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type USER: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type FIXED: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
Memory blocks of type IMPORTED: 0 allocated/0 accumulated.
>>> info
# [= stat + additional lines:]
1 module(s) loaded.
    index: 0
	name: <module-cli>
	argument: <exit_on_eof=1>
	used: -1
	auto unload: no
0 sink(s) available.
0 source(s) available.
1 client(s) logged in.
    index: 0
	name: <STDIN/STDOUT client>
	driver: <pulsecore/cli.c>
	owner module: <0>
0 sink input(s) available.
0 source outputs(s) available.
0 cache entries available.
0 autoload entries available.
>>> list-autoload
0 autoload entries available.
>>> exit
>>> dave at workhorse:~$dave at workhorse:~$ gstreamer-properties
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
dave at workhorse:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

used info found in Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to:
http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?s=150d322be0110c628aa/
24108f7dbe509&t=766683

*** please note that I broke up the following sudo commands to comply with
Gmane's posting requirements; I cut&pasted the CMVH-t commands directly from
there.
dave at workhorse:~$ sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-
common libflash-mozplugin libflashsupport mozilla-plugin-gnash nsplug-
inwrapper swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nspluginwrapper
dave at workhorse:~$ sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree && sudo
mkdir /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree && sudo cp -f ~/Desktop/libflash-
player.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ && sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/flash-
plugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin &&
sudo ln -sf /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin /usr/lib/firefox-addons/
plugins/flashplayer-alternative.so
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  flashplugin-nonfree*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 168kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 253103 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
Purging configuration files for flashplugin-nonfree ...
dave at workhorse:~$

...which got the CBC website flash plugin working again, but left the panel
applet timer still muted. Changing the settings in the sound daemon
[System/Preferences/Sound...] from Autodetect to Alsa enabled the timer
alarms to sound again.

I hope this info helps someone else get muted sound working again.