UpdateManager Ate My Soundcard! [update]

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 6 20:53:22 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim <bsilver <at> chrononomicon.com> writes:

> I had to install libflashsupport to get Firefox working with Youtube,
> though. It looked like it didn't previously have that installed. Did you
> try completely removing then reinstalling libflashsupport?

Yep, just tried that. Still no sound coming out of the panel timer
outlet, or out of CBC radio's (or KBSG's) streaming audio applets
within FF3. *Video* audio works fine, but not radio. Wah!

There have been a couple of UpdateManager iterations since, and the
splash screen now plays the bongo drums. Rhythmbox works, and videos
within FF3 seem to play okay, if a bit scratchily. I haven't had time
(working) to hunt down the pulse-audio plays... thread that got things
working better before all this UM kerfluffle happened. A bug-tracker
thread lists the libflashsupport bug as fixed, for the most part.

The sound issue does seem as if it originates at a level above the
running programs level.