Making multimedia keys to work with amarok, not rhythmbox?

jmedina at e-compugraf.com jmedina at e-compugraf.com
Wed Jul 9 13:34:59 UTC 2008

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:13:35 +0200
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Making multimedia keys to work with amarok, not rhythmbox?

First, make sure your system recognezies those multimedia keys, you need
your kernel know about them, you can try open a terminal an type $ xev

then you start typing your multi keys, you should see that they key is
assigned to a code, if isnt, then you need to use setkeymap first, then you
can use global shortcuts in amarok.

BTW: Im not sure in gnome, but in Kubuntu all the multimedia kesy were
recognized.

Best regards.

I use Gnome, but decided that I prefer amarok to rhythmbox
(auto-scoring rocks, contextual info too).  Is it possible to
configure multimedia keys (pause/unpause, stop, jump prev, jump next)
to work against amarok?

As I checked, those keys are (in system/preferences/Keyboard shortcuts)
bound to some generic "Play (or play/pause)", "Stop playback", ... etc
descriptions. But what is behind those?

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: