Moving open files

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 9 01:05:25 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> So, educate the user.
>>

> This is true, Ed. The user does need to be educated. However, who is
> going to educate him? His data is already lost.

Since his data is lost one would hope he has learned a lesson and has become
educated.

> If you are suggesting a basic CS course for all users of Ubuntu before
> they start editing files or moving them around the system, then your
> suggestion of user education is valid and I support it. Otherwise, we
> are still looking at a trap.

Of course not.  No more than I would have suggested a formal course when my
75 year old parents started using MS Windows.  In the past 5 years since
their foray into the world of computers they have fouled things and I have
had to do long distance tech support.  Yet, slowly but surely they have
learned.

Now, remember, they are using MS Windows and knew nothing about computers
when they started.  They could have done the same learning with Linux.

I hope your user is as willing to learn from their mistakes as my parents
were.  But, maybe 75 year olds who grew up in hard times are more willing to
learn from their mistakes.  :-)