iptrace?

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 21:37:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/2 Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com>:
> > May I ask you something?
>
> Most certainly!
>
> > Have you ever tried using another PC/Laptop?
>
> Just another PC on the same router. That's all I have access to at home.
>
> > Does the problem occur in the same way using another PC/Laptop?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Have you ever consider to replace the router with another one?  or is it
> > provided by your ISP also?
>
> I have, but that is not in the budget. I'd like to connect without the
> router to test, but my ISP needs a Windows-only 'dialer' to connect.
> The router can also connect. I've gone nuts trying to connect with
> Fedora and Ubuntu without the router, so much, that I bought a router!

Have you tried using a windows box?
I tell you this because, could be remotely that your adapter is not well
configured in linux...kinda last thingy, right?

> > Have you plugged the cable modem directly to the Laptop via ethernet and
> the
> > issue still goes on?
>
> I cannot 'dial in' to the ISP that way. Yes, I know that the rest of
> the world does not 'dial in' to their ISP via cable modem, but that's
> how it's done in Israel. From what I understand (not much) in other
> parts of the world the modem is programmed with the 'dial in'
> connections and the user doesn't mess with it. Here, it is done in
> software running on Windows computers. Or, in a few routers like the
> one that I have.

That sucks, you know...
What kind of cable modem do you use?

> > I ask you this because here in mexico city I had almost the same issues
> over
> > and over, and had to do all from above and even started wireshark for 24
> > hours but the solution was to replace the cable cord that comes to the
> > cablemodem, the one that was splitting the signal between the tv and 5
> > cablemodem that I have, weird stuff, but true.
>
> That doesn't sound so weird. I've worked years in automotive repair
> and modifications, and I know that connections are often faulty. Will
> wireshark see that the connection is being dropped between the router
> and the modem, or between the modem and the ISP?

wireshark will see what's going on between your adapter on the PC/Laptop and
the destination IP that includes, your router, your modem, ISPs routers,
destination routers, etc. and will tell you if there are lost packets,
missing hops, etc.
more detailed info here: http://www.wireshark.org/about.html
I prefer checking out all the gear first, beacuse you already made a trace
route, and it seems that your connection to the ISP its faulty, too many
miliseconds gone.

> > So you may want to review every single device which is connected to the
> ISP
> > signal ex. Cablemodem(if you own it), Router, PC/Laptops, etc. in order
> > discard that the problem relies on your gear, if everything fails and you
> > still have the same issues, then blame the isp and ask for someone to
> check
> > your cabling structure and perhaps replace your cablemodem, maybe then
> your
> > issue will be long gone.
> >
> > that's only my point of view, hope it helps.
> >
> > Victor.
> >

> Thanks. With the exception of the router, I've tried two of everything
> after the modem. Two PC's, two cables going to the router, and two
> cables going from the router to the modem. I don't have coaxial cable
> to replace the cable going into the modem, though.

I meant the coaxial cable that comes from the street to your modem/TV set,
you won't be able to do this, let that thing to the cable company, you could
get harm if you touch those cables, they are not insolated from the
electricity.