USB Router Support?

Willis Taylor gods-servant at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 31 17:57:58 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/30/2008 08:49 PM, Willis Taylor wrote:
>
>> I have a 2Wire model 1000SW DSL Router.  I have one Windows computer
>> connected via HPNA, This unit connected via CAT5E and my main unit is
>> connected via the USB port.  As long as I fire the main unit up in
>> Windows XP all is well but the very moment I choose to crank it up in
>> Kubuntu 7.10 I loose my router connection.  The mainboard came with
>> onboard LAN and when looking for the Network all I find is eth0, the
>> NIC.  Is there anyway I can force the USB/Network connection?  I really
>> have become disgusted with Windows and want both my test-bed and my main
>> unit on Ubuntu with the KDE Desktop.  I do have a refurbished model 1700
>> 2Wre router but it means reworkin all of my network, including my wifes
>> unit inside the shop building.
>>
>> Just so you understand, I am very sick with Recurring MS and the address
>> on the old Router is 172.bla, bla, bla and the mod. 1700 with the five
>> RJ ports is 192. and on.  I get about on a walker so I really am putting
>> off the replacement router install.
>>
>> Thanks to all for any and all input.
>>

> You may have better luck posting on the kubuntu list, but the above is a
> little confusing (to me anyway), perhaps you can clarify:
>
> The problem PC is:
>
> 1. Dualboot - WinXP & Kubuntu?
>
> 2. Connected to the 2Wire via USB & works when booted in WinXP, but not
> in Kubuntu?
>
> 3. Also has a connected ethernet NIC & in Kubuntu, KU defaults to the
> ethernet NIC rather than using the USB connection?
>
> Perhaps if you can clarify the above, someone running KU can help guide
> you through the process of getting the connection working.
>
> BTW: a USB - ethernet connection will show up as eth0 or eth1 etc., just
> as standard NIC will. For example, I have a laptop that uses a USB -
> ethernet adaptor and if I issue 'ifconfig' (from a terminal) it shows up
> as eth0. Now if I pop in a pcmcia adaptor, that shows up as eth1. The
> USB also shows up when issuing the 'lsusb' command. Both are visible &
> configurable from the Network Manager (System|Administration|Network in
> gnome - I don't have KU/KDE).
>   I've not had to configure anything - just plug the adaptor in. In your
> case, you might want to make sure that your NIC is disconnected from the
> CAT5, then plug the USB in & see if that works.

Everything you asked is yes.  i am unable to remove the ethernet card
because it is onboard the mainboard and the Cat5e is not connected to
the pouter.  The router has has only the one RJ port and while it
supports over two hundred computers they must all be wireless or HPNA
after this one I'm typing on is plugged in with the Cat5e.  I was not
aware there was a Kubuntu list, I'll need to find that one.