Noobie NDISwrapper/Wireless Success!

Bob Cortez rjcortez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:48:25 UTC 2008

This is a message of hope for all of the other noobies out there struggling
to get wireless going on their laptops.  I finally gave up on my old Dell
Inspiron 8200 with one of those USB dongles.  Good fortune would have it
though,  the good old Dell became unreliable, almost unusable, which gave me
the justification I needed to get a new laptop.  (The first new computer
I've bought in a decade}.

I came across this Gateway
MT6728<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651041&type=product&id=1195599779433&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8651041%20>on
sale at Best Buy for $549.  I was so excited about getting what I
considered a great deal, that I didn't even check first if there were any
native wireless drivers for it..  As it turns out, the Realtek
RTL8187B<http://152.104.125.41/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8187B>is
one of the few that Realtek doesn't have a linux driver for.  So after
setting up the dual boot and making Ubuntu use the entire widescreen
display, I decided to tackle the problem of wireless connectivity once
again.

I came across two resources that made the process much easier.
*NdisWrapper: The Ultimate Guide
*<http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/NdisWrapper_The_Ultimate_Guide/%20>and
*NDISwrapper Wiki*<http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/%20>.
In particular the "List of cards known to work" showed me exactly what
driver was needed and where to down load it.  I don't know if this made a
difference or not, but for the first time I used the terminal as described
in the Guide rather than using the GUI for NDISwrapper to install the
driver.  I'm also using "Wifi Radar" that I downloaded and installed with
Synaptic.

So keep the faith my noobie brethren.  There is hope.  If I can do it, I'm
certain any of you can as well.

Ubuntu Google Custom
Search<http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=001341933570257451639%3Ay8gwl467cqw&hl=en>