Emergency Grub System

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jan 31 20:24:43 UTC 2008

    I just used the Ubuntu version 7.18 cd-rom as an emergency boot
system and it makes all other Emergency Boot Systems look like toys! I
plan to write a good paper based on this method I will outline here.

    Assume you tried to boot your system and it failed. Or you do not
like the way your grub is set up and want to change that. The first
steps are to turn on your computer with the cd-rom in the reader. When
it boots up select a terminal from Applications and in that terminal
type $ sudo grub. This will start grub in the cd-rom system and you can
do ANYTHING you want to.

    I decided I wanted to boot my new Ubuntu at /dev/hda8 direct from
the Master Boot Record (MBR). I need to know that /dev/hda8 = (hd0,7) in
grub-talk. And the MBR is always (hd0).

     Then with grub running I typed two things,

grub> root (hd0,7)
It didn't say a thing.
grub> setup (hd0)
This time it printed out a lot of strange stuff that is grub talk
telling you it put the grub boot message at the MBR. Sure enough it did
and it boots fine direct now.

     I will write this up in a paper and put it on my web page. I plan
to put a lot of things about Ubuntu on that. The main thing to remember
is your Ubuntu cd-rom is a GREAT Rescue device!

Karl

 Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

	Linux User
	#450462   http://counter.li.org.