Dual Installs Linux/Vista

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:03:09 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:32 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Have linux install on drive one,
> > but I would like to install my Windows Vista restore disk,
> > on drive two.
> >
> > Everytime, I got to install windows, it grabs the first drive,
> > and wipes out Linux., is there a way around this,
> > or do I have to purchase, a full retail copy of Vista,
> > to install on what hard drive I want?

There should be an option during the Vista pre-install - right after
the license agreement - like "Custom (Advanced)".  That should let you
select the target disk.  That will trash your MBR though - you'll have
to boot from the live CD afterwards and reinstall grub.

If that won't work - maybe you can temporarily disconnect the first
driver during Vista install, then hook it back up and tell grub about
your new OS.  Have not tried this though...

>     Windows MUST have the first partition on the first hard drive,
> period. Do not know why. You need to let windows load where it wants.
> And then load Ubuntu whereever you want to but not on top of windows :-)

Untrue.

Chris