fstab

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jan 30 14:10:38 UTC 2008

Sam Fielder wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>     I come from Fedora and I studied the Ubuntu fstab and have
>> questions. Here is what I think is the line that boots Ubuntu:
>>
>> # /dev/hda8
>> UUID=a9c1cb61-ddfd-44f6-88b0-6dc976daf9ca /               ext3
>> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>>
>> So I left that working but I have never seen the UUID= before. Can
>> someone explain that?

> The uuid is a unique identifier for each piece of hardware, kind of like
> a volume name.

No, it's not (at least in this case).  It's a unique identifier to a
_filesystem_.  Which is why I find changing the fstab this way to be not a
great idea.

aiui, this change was made so that fstab wouldn't break when they
changed /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* - but now it will break any time you reformat
a partition.

--
derek