cheap ubuntu laptop with wireless that works right "out of the box".

Default User xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 02:03:50 UTC 2008

Hello!

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop, model A205-S5804, from a
local big box store.  Price $449 USD (which is why I bought it).  Here
are the specs:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/rdet.jsp?seg=HHO&poid=403617

Unfortunately, the wireless doesn't seem to work under ubuntu right out
of the box, and maybe not at all. See:

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4191499

For a laptop, that is a deal breaker.

Wisely, I have not opened the box yet, so as to avoid a 15% "re-stocking
fee" if returned.  If indeed the wireless doesn't work without pulling
teeth, it is definitely going back.

I really need a laptop that will run ubuntu, with wireless connectivity
that works "right out of the box", with no tinkering or setup needed (no
ndiswrapper, etc).  But I cannot justify spending $729+ for a Dell
Inspiron with Ubuntu, or even $699+ for a System76 unit.  I can install
ubuntu myself, with no problem. But I just can't fight anymore with
ubuntu laptop wireless problems. Been there, done that (too much agony,
I quit).

So, does anyone know of a laptop that will run ubuntu, with wireless
connectivity that works "right out of the box", for $500 USD or less?

Thanks.