how do I lock physical NIC's to static device names?

Pete Clapham w.clapham at csuohio.edu
Tue Jan 29 16:17:16 UTC 2008

Question --

Are you dealing with a DHCP environment in which your Linux box takes an
IP number from DHCP, or are you trying to set up your Linux box as a
domain controller or other server?  In the former case, you should be
able to arrange a "long-term lease" of an IP number for your Linux box
so that it always gets the same IP number for DHCP (there are advantages
to doing it this way for the IT folks; I've used it for years on both
linux, Sun, and Windoze boxes and it works fine); in the latter click on
system -> administration ->network ->network settings ->properties (of
the NIC) -> Static IP . . . .  It should be clear from there.

cheers,
pete

--
Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences

Voice:  [216] 687-4820
Fax:  [216] 687-6972
w.clapham at csuohio.edu