loss of Preferences

Willis Taylor gods-servant at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 21:43:16 UTC 2008

I recently used synaptic, from Ubuntu 7.10, and installed KDE 3.5
Desktop.  It's fantastic but having MS I've mostly lost the use of my
right arm and need to operate my Track Ball from the left.  I make the
System changes and everything is fine until I reboot.  On rebooting I
get two messages each time;
.. The first informs me that my Preferences cannot be saved because
/home/<my log on>/kde/share/config/koonquerorrc is not writable.
.. The second follows the same path up to /config/kickerrc and it has
the same problem.

I went to my home file and from there created kde/share/config and there
created the two ending files and in permissions made them writable.
Still, I have the problem.  Please, where did I go wrong?