Wifi +Generic Kernel

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 25 01:14:57 UTC 2008

In the past I've advocated replacing the generic kernel with the
standard kernel, example:

Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386
instead of
Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

as the standard kernel seemed to have fixed multiple issues that I've
had with one problem or another. However, it seems that when it comes to
Wifi, the generic kernel is the one.

The other day my son dropped by with his laptop and asked that I get his
Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 working on his existing 7.10. Previously, I'd
converted to the standard kernel to try and resolve some
suspend/hibernate issues & didn't think anything more of it. So, I spend
6 hours trying to get the thing to work with no luck; including
ndiswrapper, ndisgtk, etc., etc.

Given that he had to leave that evening, I finally became exasperated
and did a complete reinstall. Plug in the WUSB11 to the USB port and up
it comes! So I try on another laptop, first with the standard kernel -
no luck, then with the generic kernel & up it comes. No ndiswrapper,
nothing; generic kernel just works.

So... I don't want him wandering around campus with a WUSB11 2.8 + it's
3 foot cord anyway, so I send him off to buy a proper PCMCIA Wifi card.
He comes back with a Netgear WG511 v2, and I try to install with the
standard kernel - again no luck. Pissed off, I send him of to BestBuy
and have him buy a Dynex DX-EBNBC which I *know* just works after
DX-EBNBC works in both standard and generic kernels. I reset the boot
for the generic kernel and send him home.

Afterwards I played with the Netgear on the same model laptop (IBM
Thinkpad T/A21. Again it doesn't work, even with ndiswrapper & proper
.inf files, on the standard kernel. It *does* work with the generic kernel.

Don't know why, and at this point I don't care... just wanted to post so
that others that are having Wifi problems, and are running standard
kernels, have a try with the generic kernal & see if that resolves your
problems.