setting up bind9 on dapper

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Tue Jan 22 23:27:10 UTC 2008

I have a dapper server with bind9 already installed by someone else that
asked me to get the DNS working, but I cannot even get localhost to
work. So, I went to my gutsy workstation and did apt-get install bind9,
service started and 'dig @localhost localhost' resolves fine on gutsy.
So, I went to this guys dapper server and did apt-get remove bind9 and
then apt-get install bind9, still no records returned with the same
lookup command. The files are there in /etc/bind, the service is running
and netstat shows it listening on localhost, is there something I'm
missing or should check for?

I tried renaming the /etc/bind folder after apt-get remove and when I
try to install, I then get errors..I then tried apt-get clean and still
errors. How can I get this to install fresh?

(Reading database ... 16142 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bind9 (from .../bind9_1%3a9.3.2-2ubuntu1.4_i386.deb) ...
Setting up bind9 (9.3.2-2ubuntu1.4) ...
wrote key file "/etc/bind/rndc.key"
chgrp: cannot access `/etc/bind/named.conf*': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing bind9 (--configure):
 bind9

Robert