cdrom mounting problems ?

' =JeffH ' Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Tue Jan 22 22:10:17 UTC 2008

I haven't used my modular-bay cdrom for a while, but want to burn an Ubuntu
.iso file today, so shutdown, installed cdrom, rebooted, and my system just
plain can't see it.

  "mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist"

And indeed, "/dev/scd0" does not exist. It used to. :(

So some googling about indicates that I'm not the only person with this issue..

  how to mount cdrom. not working since install

  Problems mounting optical drive CD DVD http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php
?t=643097&highlight=mount+cdrom+%2Fdev%2Fscd0+does

  Special device /dev/scd0 does not exist http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.ph
p?t=282913&highlight=mount+cdrom+scd0+does+not+exist&page=2

Some folks recommend migrating from grub to lilo and that that sometimes fixes
the problem.

Others suggest adding the "noapic" kernel option to the /boot/grub/menu.lst
entry that one's system defaults to using when booting.

I tried the latter, as well as booting with a CD in the drive, both to no
avail.

I don't know if my version of this particular problem began with the recent
upgrade to the 2.6.17-12 kernel (I'm using Edgy 6.10) or whether it's been
there for a while. I did definitely make use of the CDrw-DVD at some point in
the past and it worked.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this?

thanks,

=JeffH