JPilot with CRAZY / HORRIBLE results in Evolution !

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Jan 22 02:39:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 20:15 -0500, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:00:56 +0800
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello Ubuntu Evolution / JPilot Experts and Users
> > Experimenting with JPilot in my Ubuntu 7.10 gave me a shocking
> > result !!!
> >
> > More than half the day I was experimenting to get my PDA data from
> > the handheld to Ubuntu and there getting the data visible !!
> >
> > Finally I was able to backup from PDA to Ubuntu ...
> > ... but JPilot did not show any single entry in its application !
> >
> > Frustrated and upset I gave up !
> >
> > After returning I restarted my system and within very short time the
> > system
> > got very very slow and working impossible:
> > All running applications, like Evaluation, Firefox and Skype couldn't
> > being
> > ended normally anymore and system shutdown too was impossible ;-((
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL !!
> >
> > Rebooting with the PDA connected after system reboot first time I got
> > the "gnome-pilot setting pop-up" !? I assumed positive news as PDA
> > recognized ! ;-)
> >
> > JPilot indeed still shows no results: Absolutely empty and nothing !!!
> >
> > Restarting Evolution it looked looked very different / strange too !!!
> > Why ???
> >
> > All the PDA data backed up with JPilot were showing in Evolution ;-)
> >
> > So far so positive ...
> > ... crazy and horrible because all previous Evolution entries
> > (calendar,
> > memos and tasks are gone, overwritten by JPilot's Backup before sync !
> > Yes, I had set Backup before Sync to make sure, that not an empty set
> > of
> > JPilot data goes and empties my PDA !!
> >
> > So crazy / negative:
> > Looking for Help (in the status bar) of JPilot gives very little:
> > There are only self-praising and no facts like Contents or Index ;-(
> >
> > So crazy / positive:
> > In a way the unexpected result is fascinating !!!
> > If using Evolution for all my PIM data ...
> > ... sync with the PDA would be a good solution and
> > JPilot just is the vehicle to transfer data betwwen these two !!
> > Cool and Ideal !
> >
> > BTW:
> > Do not come and ask me what I have done ;-)
> > Have tried whatever soo many times with lots of sweats ;-|
> >
> > Shall I cry or laugh ??
> > I do not know yet !!
> >
> > I only know it needs a lot of work to get familiar with the latest
> > experience and displaying in Evolution and PDA are very far from
> > comparable ! ;-(
> >
> > Cheers, svobi
> >

> Svobi,
>
> Someday you'll look back on this and laugh. I've found that if I run
> Evolution and its sync daemon is running, I can't sync with Jpilot
> if my life depended on it. I suspect the two are dueling for the
> PDA connection, and the gnome-pilot daemon (gpilotd) wins every
> time. Others may have a different experience, but I've found it best to
> [...]

Hi Pete
Thanks to your enchanting feedback ! ;-)
Yes, you are right: One day I may laugh at it !! ;-D

Well, the experience with JPilot and its result sync'ing to Evolution
has bin frustrating and interesting !!!

I would really love to understand better what i did and done ...
... to get either that or this !!

Primarily I wanted to setup JPilot to have a good haven for the
Palm Treo 680 data: BackUps (frequently)  and Restores (if needed) !

Unfortunately it worked not as expected and intended !!

I had loved Evolution staying untouched and the PDA's data
only dealt with JPilot and totally off from Evolution !!!

Well, I am an avid fan of Lotus Notes and my preferred solution
would always be Lotus Notes as primary GUI & PIM abd the PDA
sync'ing with that !!

Unfortunately for the moment It seems not being available now
for Ubuntu yet ;-(

Till my experience yesterday:
I never heard about this SYNC working crosswise like I learnt with
this !
If I had known about this: I had have a chance for a data backup !!
Like this: I even do / did not know WHAT to backup or save !!!

One more point:
I am not really very keen to have the PDA data on Evolution ...
... and reverting at this point leads to an empty, thanks God the
e-mails
are untouched, Evolution. ;-|

As for now:
I would love some advice and guidance how to identify and manage
the data sync's either to Evolution or JPilot ...
... not like now: blind landing/s on a unknown airport and possibly
crashing. ;-|

Cheers, svobi