/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jan 21 20:18:40 UTC 2008

GĂ©rard BIGOT wrote:
[Instructions how to become root]

Thank you for your effort to explain how to become root. But, sorry, it
seems we were'nt talking the same language. I do know how to become root
and how the prompt might look like. I just don't think it is obvious that
a command should be used with sudo, if there is only a '#' as an
indication. Probably I should have written it more precisely.

> $  : You
> # : The root account.

OK, that looks nice, but is it really that way with Ubuntu? I didn't know
because I usually change the prompt according to my preference (e.g. red
background for root). Therefore I started Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD. The
prompt is "ubuntu at ubuntu:~$" for the normal user
or "root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#" for root. I think it looks the same after
a normal installation. So, the '#' or '$' seems to be only the last
character of the prompt.

> That's why they give the # at the beginning of the command line. It
> means 'it's supposed to be run as root'. And the way to do it in Ubuntu
> is to add sudo at the beginning of the command.

And that's what I think isn't useful. If somebody asks for a command on
the list, it should not be expected that he sees or even knows the little
difference between a '#' and a '$' in front of the real command. If I
tell someone a command which should be run as root, I would either
write "sudo some command" or I would mention that it should be run in a
root shell.

Nils