/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Gérard BIGOT gerard.bigot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:33:44 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 6:29 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Gérard BIGOT wrote:
> > >
> > > That's the first time I read something about this special meaning. It
> > > seems very strange to me, can you tell me where it is documented? And
> > > how should I know, if I'm new to Ubuntu?
> >
> > It may be said in a strange way. But, Ubuntu doesn't open Root account,
> > the one noted by # at the prompt, instead of your $.
>
> OK, there may be a '#' at the prompt, if you run a root shell, but then
> you don't need sudo. And if I see a line starting with '#', it is a
> comment line for me, because that's what a '#' is used for in a shell
> script.

simple :

open a shell. You're logged as yourself, whatever it is. Look at the prompt.
A $

type 'sudo -i' (man sudo to explain the meaning of -i) on that prompt.

give your own login.

Look at the prompt. A #

Magic.

Hence

$  : You
# : The root account.

That's why they give the # at the beginning of the command line. It means
'it's supposed to be run as root'. And the way to do it in Ubuntu is to add
sudo at the beginning of the command.

Try it, you'll see.

G.