apt-cache unmet { unmet dependencies }

thomas fisher studio1 at commspeed.net
Mon Jan 21 17:43:45 UTC 2008

In reading the manual on apt-cache and checking it out I ran
" apt-cache umet ". I was totally unprepared for the long list of unmets.
Some appear to be not very critical { obscure fonts }. Is there a quick method
of filtering this long list so that only the more critical dependencies can
be dealt with?
Tom

apt-cache     - APT package handling utility -- cache manipulator
      DESCRIPTION
       apt-cache performs a variety of operations on APT’s package cache.
       apt-cache does not manipulate the state of the system but does provide
       operations to search and generate interesting output from the package
       metadata.

             unmet
           unmet displays a summary of all unmet dependencies in the package
           cache.