router problem

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sat Jan 19 01:08:01 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008 08:28:07 Chris Lemire wrote:
>               I'm sharing the internet with someone else through a router.
> Everything is fine except once in a while, I'd like to play games such as
> Quake 4 in Linux or Call of Duty 4. My ping is so horrible, it irritates me
> and others to play on servers. I have full access to the router, what I'd
> like to do is give gaming priority over all the torrent downloads going on
> by the other computer to cause lag and high ping with gaming servers. Is
> there any other solution besides unplugging his internet temporarily from
> the other computer? I've already tried that and usually get sleepy and
> forget to plug it back in. Thanks for your time.
>
> ---------------------------------
> now.

What model make is the router? Check the fire wall settings on the router to
see if you can limit file sharing. Ask your friend to slow down his file
sharing program, (which is?), especially the "up load limit". Or replace the
router with a PC set up as a firewall / router and set some firewall rules
limiting the band width on the ports the file sharing program uses. The Fire
wall / router PC can be an old second hand base unit with 2 NICs, plus
keyboard, (no monitor). Have a look at -

www.smoothwall.org

There are other similar set ups to Smoothwall just cant think of any at
moment, but I'm sure others will chip in.
Or if your machine is on 24/7 put a second NIC in, set it up as a gateway and
plug your mates PC into it and limit his band width with your machines
settings.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)