router problem

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Fri Jan 18 21:08:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 9:28 AM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I'm sharing the internet with someone else through a router. Everything is
> fine except once in a while, I'd like to play games such as Quake 4 in Linux
> or Call of Duty 4. My ping is so horrible, it irritates me and others to
> play on servers. I have full access to the router, what I'd like to do is
> give gaming priority over all the torrent downloads going on by the other
> computer to cause lag and high ping with gaming servers.

First, it is easy enough to limit the upload bandwidth of a BT
program; it should never be higher than 80% of the total upload speed
to ensure that response times across the LAN remain brisk.

Second, some of the cheaper routers can't handle the many hundreds of
connections that p2p programs customarily keep alive, and performance
really takes a hit. In this case, your best bet is to buy a high-end
home router, such as the Linksys WRT54GL or a D-Link. (There are
undoubtably others; check the gaming sites)

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam