trojans and Ubuntu

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Jan 18 22:12:02 UTC 2008

Tim M wrote:
> Yesterday a friend of mine asked me about identity thief protection
> sites and she sent me a link to one asking if it was okay. I clicked
> on the link on my laptop running 10.7 (also protected with NoScript).
> Anyway this morning I was talking to my boss he is in charge of
> Internet security for a major company (I work for him part time in his
> own business). He said that if she clicked on that site she could have
> introduced a Trojan into her computer. I will not post the site
> address here . . . anyway, he might have misunderstood me or I might
> have misunderstood him. Now I need to tell my friend, who suffers from
> panic attacks) to reinstall her system. I guess I should listen to my
> boss . . . I am wondering what the group thinks about what he said and
> that if my system might be compromised also.

Your system is likely to be OK, trojan sites are designed to attack
Windows systems. What I suggest you do is contact your friend, who I
assume is running Windows of some sort, and suggest that she puts
together a plan for what she should do /if  /she thinks she may have
compromised her system. Take her through the various steps and suggest
that she practises now. That will get her to run all of the antivirus
tests without panicking her unnecessarily.