screen locking - pam and xscreensaver

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 17 12:04:50 UTC 2008

For an install that utilizes PAM for xscreensaver within both gnome and
kde, what factors would lead to xscreensaver not being able to properly
unlock the user?  I reviewed the logs and nothing helped.

I performed ldd on xscreensaver and an ls -l on each dependency proved they
were all there.

The system uses local /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files for authentication - no
NIS or LDAP or Kerberos.

If Xwindows was to be disabled, and only tty was used, what would be the best
option for ensuring the logged-in session was locked after a determined amount
of inactivity>

Also, if the user stepped away from the system and wanted to manually lock it,
what is the best tty screen-locking utility? I reviewed vlock, but after
prompting me for my password, it then prompted for root's.  That was less than
helpful.

Thanks.

Scott