Apache and ubuntu

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Tue Jan 15 03:47:30 UTC 2008

Mike Dugger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My system consists of ubuntu 7.10, Apache 2.2.4 and PHP 5.2.1
>
> I have installed Apache, PHP and MySql for my education/entertainment in
> learning a bit about web design. The setup was working fine until I
> upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10. Now php functions within html will not run,
> while .php scripts run fine.

why would you want to run .html thru php? It won't be a problem but you may
want to have static files that aren't parsed by the php, traditionally
these have been .html althou this loosens with restful urls (don't worry if
you don't know what this is).

> It appears that Apache, as implemented in ubuntu, is set up differently
> than the indicated by the book (Apache, MySQL and PHP Weekend Crash
> Course)  that I purchased to aid my education. In poking around I've noted
> a few differences. Significantly, in usr/apache2 I found two configuration
> files apache2.conf and the trusty httpd.conf. Can anyone tell me which is
> used, or why there are two confs and how do they differ?

they differ a lot from the standard install

config files are split up in /etc/apache2/

the default vhost is in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default a symlink
in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled points to that file

also there are a few other files (like ports.conf i think and mimetypes
and ...) that all together form the httpd.conf that is probably explained
in your book.

> Secondly, my book refers to the apachectrl script for starting and
> restarting apache. It appears that ubuntu doesn't include this script in
> its apache install. What other convenient means exist for restarting
> apache to check changes in the configuration?

apache2ctrl

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.