using other distro's repos?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Jan 14 18:52:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 14:23 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sure, but why would _anybody_ build a .deb package just for the sake
> of having a package?

I always package with checkinstall, which is enough for my locally
installed stuff. It gives at the very least the option to cleanly
upgrade and uninstall the software; often the makefile has no
"uninstall" target. It is also otherwise integrated with the package
manager, e.g., "dpkg -S" works. And I have the option to write comments
into the package description.