Nvidia load problem

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:30:21 UTC 2008

On 14/01/2008, kenneth karlsen <kkarls2 at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
> > On 13/01/2008, kenneth karlsen <kkarls2 at broadpark.no> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi i am using 7.10.
> >> I built my own kernel and installed the Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com.
> >> At system boot the nvidia driver is not loaded.
> >> Modprobe does not find the driver either. I have to do insmod
> >> /path/to/driver to load the module.
> >> It is like modprobe does not use or find 'uname -r'. Does anyone know
> >> what causes this?
> >>

> > Which nVidia drivers? The ones for your graphics card? They are not
> > loaded at boot time and should not be. They only load when the X.11
> > server, X.org, loads. That is normal, correct and desirable.
> >

> I am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run. The module is not loaded at
> boot, I put it in /etc/modules, it is not loaded when X starts, it is
> neither loaded by the command "modprobe nvidia".
> I have to use the command
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
> to load the module. Insmod nvidia does not work either. I did this many
> times using debian with no problems.
> Do you have any suggestions?

I'm sorry, no, I don't. The only nVidia problems I have encountered on
Ubuntu was when I was using a card that only works with the "legacy"
nVidia drivers, which also means that I needed some libraries to
support the legacy driver itself. This took me a lot of fiddling about
to trace and resulted in me needing to reinstall. I don't think that
this is your problem.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508