Nvidia load problem

kenneth karlsen kkarls2 at broadpark.no
Mon Jan 14 18:20:04 UTC 2008

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 13/01/2008, kenneth karlsen <kkarls2 at broadpark.no> wrote:
>
>> Hi i am using 7.10.
>> I built my own kernel and installed the Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com.
>> At system boot the nvidia driver is not loaded.
>> Modprobe does not find the driver either. I have to do insmod
>> /path/to/driver to load the module.
>> It is like modprobe does not use or find 'uname -r'. Does anyone know
>> what causes this?
>>

> Which nVidia drivers? The ones for your graphics card? They are not
> loaded at boot time and should not be. They only load when the X.11
> server, X.org, loads. That is normal, correct and desirable.

I am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run. The module is not loaded at
boot, I put it in /etc/modules, it is not loaded when X starts, it is
neither loaded by the command "modprobe nvidia".
I have to use the command
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
to load the module. Insmod nvidia does not work either. I did this many
times using debian with no problems.
Do you have any suggestions?
Regards Kenneth.