NNTP accelerator?

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 03:51:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 11:27 AM, Rick Barry <existentialsailor at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Many ISP's, at least in
> the US throttle the speed of the common ports used for
> NNTP such as port 119 and others. In windows I used an
> accelerator that was supplied by my usenet service
> which used port 563 instead and was able to download
> at the speed I'm paying my ISP for.
>
> I set my news reader to local host and the accelerator
> takes it from there. I was hoping there might be a
> similar software application for U 7.10 that I could
> use with PAN.

The software you are talking about is not an accelerator.
In fact, it is slower than going directly.  (Except, as you note, when
someone is throttling port 119.)

What you want to use is called "stunnel", for tunneling from one port to
another.  It will also handle the SSL used with NNTPS on port 563, since PAN
doesn't do the NNTPS directly.

The best explanation I could find in one minute of Googling was at:

http://www.usenet-forums.com/linux-general/74831-stunnel-ssl-nntp-server.html

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own