Adobe Flash Plugin

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sun Jan 13 08:43:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 23:53 -0500, Richard wrote:
> On Sunday 16 December 2007 7:31:36 pm Michael R. Head wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 18:49 -0500, Schiz0 wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install Adobe's flash plugin for firefox using apt-get.
> > > However, after it downloads the file from adobe.com, it gives the
> > > following error:
> > >
> > > ----------------------------
> > > 18:40:23 (1.42 MB/s) - `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz' saved
> > > [3036127/3036127]
> > >
> > > Download done.
> > > md5sum mismatch install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
> > > The Flash plugin is NOT installed.
> > >
> > > Press return to continue.
> > > ----------------------------
> > >
> > > Obviously, the md5 hash didn't match up. I'm assuming adobe updated
> > > the plugin AFTER the package was last updated. Is there any work
> > > around for this?
> >
> > Yep, it's coming. An updated package is in gutsy-proposed. You can
> > either wait until it hits gutsy-updates, you can add gutsy-proposed to
> > your list of repositories, or you can download the gusty-proposed
> > package right now and install using gdebi:
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/flas
> >hplugin-nonfree_9.0.115.0ubuntu0.7.10_i386.deb (other versions are at
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/f/flashplugin-nonfree/ )
> >
> > > Thanks for your time.
>
> I try this download as well, Sorry to say, it will crash on youtube and
> several other website, running flash media.
>
> Theres a major bug somewhere.. in this flash..
>
> running Konqueror web brwoser (K)ubuntu 7.10

Well yeah, the new flash plugin no longer supports konqueror (and this
is why the updated flash package still has not been included in the
-updates archive).

If you want to use the latest flash plugin, you'll need to use firefox.
What's more, it's not possible to install the older flash plugins
because Macromedia doesn't make them available.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding