Out of {Disk Space,Ideas}

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Fri Jan 11 12:26:52 UTC 2008

'elo.

I'm wondering if the list-mind has any collective wisdom to a problem
that's just started:

I've ran out of disk-space on what mounts as / (and has pretty much
everything, apart from /var/run and /var/lock) : df(1) reports that 29G
of a 28G disk is used, 100%.

Despite having moved at least 4gigs off, fsck(8)'ing, and checking
ownership, I'm out of ideas... there ought to be *some* space...

It's being mounted rw, as expected.

The machine, in itself is fine: apart from X (well, KDE) not wanting to
login, but TTY login's fine. Nothing untoward in the start-up sequence.

Any thoughts on *why*, despite having moved stuff off, the machine still
doesn't think it's got any space?

TIA,