using other distro's repos?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 10 18:20:22 UTC 2008

anthony baldwin wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> This is beginning to sound like /The Divine Linux Comedy/:

Damn, I write a perfectly trite satirical piece and get a serious
response...

> I know, I could hunt down rpms on line and install by hand...but,
> where's the fun in that?

That's why PCLOS is not the One True Distro :-)

> Incidentally, I did request one pkg to be added to Ubuntu, just recently
> (which, oddly PCLOS does have).
> How would I go about "doing the packaging myself", as someone suggested?
> (I have the package on my system, but the world would be groOvier if it
> was in repo and, thus, maintained current
> with apt).  It's written in java, if that makes a difference.

It makes a huge difference.  Grab the Ubuntu source for a libxxxx-java
package.  Copy it for your own package.  The binary itself isn't much more
than a .jar file, and probably a launcher script.
--
derek