Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop Course is ready

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 8 17:05:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:48:07 -0800
NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> wget
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=student.pdf
> (will need to get it a bit at a time,  dialup very slow)
>
> and I get HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
> 01:12:25 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
> Many thanks,
> Take Care
> Winton
>
> It is 72.5MB. Works from a browser download: right click the link and
> use 'save link target'. It will want to save to Training.htm - that's
> ok, let it save & then rename to Training.pdf. You dont' need any
> special account access.

That isn't the problem.

Winton is on dial-up, and therefore prefers to use wget - so would I.

Downloading large files on dial-up from the browser is unreliable. wget
solves that particular problem - it is both more reliable in general, and
specifically more reliable for downloading with resume, which on dialup is
*often* necessary. ( For example, until I got my current adsl2+ connection,
I had a five hour limit on any given dial-up session, which is common, at
least in Australia, for dial-up).

Tony Arnold's post is right - in this case the URL needs to be quoted for
wget to work.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net