Installing on an existing raid system

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:35:35 UTC 2008

I am currently running Debian Unstable on my desktop and am thinking of
switching to kubuntu in order to get more stability but remain current
(Etch is too behind the times)(I am also planning on downgrading to x86
since I have only seen problems since migrating to amd64).

However I have only two sata drives in a software raid configuration.
Each drive is identical and has

100MB /boot
2G swap
4G /  (root)
remainder LVM device.

I came to load up the installer, and immediately I think I have a
problem.  It does not recognise the raid and wants to make partitions
on one of the disks in order to put root in.

At this point I am too nervous to proceed any further.  Alhough there is
nothing too important on my root partition, the raided lvm device is
full of very important data that I do not wish to loose.

Can someone tell me whether there is a way to install on a fully raided
system.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk