external storage for linux

Phil Tann phil at philtann.com
Sat Jan 5 23:44:19 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008 04:50:37 David Vincent wrote:
> > http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=
> >AU%2FLayout&cid=1175236835409&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&l
> >id=3540982545B01
>
> now THAT is what i am looking for.  i'll be taking a closer look at this
> for sure.  i'm sure 3com/dlink/netgear/belkin have competing products too.
>
> when it goes into standby does it come out gracefully?  for example can
> you stream media from it, pause your media stream, have the linksys go
> into standby, resume playback and have it wake up the linksys and keep
> going with the stream without dropping?
>
> thanks!
>
> -d

short answer Yes.
it takes a little bit of fiddling to get the media server (built into the
flash rom) to stream correctly, but it works really well and does not drop
out if you pause etc.

oh..
another thing that I've found BRILLIANT is that it has 2 x USB 2.0 on the back
where you can plug in USB thumb drives and share them on the network too,
OR...
if you have USB hdd's you can plug them in and network them also.

particularly for the dollars, I've not found a comparitive box that actually
has some control or options like this one.

--
Phil Tann
phil at philtann.com
Mobile: 0404 098 268