external storage for linux

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Sat Jan 5 19:22:54 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

>> do the mybook drives spin down or go into any power-saving mode?  i'll
>> confess i really really like western digital as a brand, they have
>> always been good to me.
>
> They do seem to go to a sleep mode after a period of inactivity.  I say
> that only because sometimes when I do the "./sync", the prompt seems to
> hesitate a few seconds before I see activity ramp up, then it seems
> fine.  The delay isn't long, though.  I notice it only because I'm
> typing the command right at the prompt and focusing on it.

nods

> They don't disappear from the desktop of my Linux system, if that's what
> you mean.  There is just an initial pause when using it for the first
> time after awhile of nothing.

sounds ideal.

> I've had no problem with them, personally, although I've heard rumor of
> some large terabyte-class sharing device they recently released that
> won't let you save certain files depending on file extension...?  May
> have to google that.

no need, i actually already sent that link to this list though it was in
another thread.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/12/wd-makes-big-mistake

it is the wd 1tb my book drive.  here is the list of file types you
cannot share:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1495&p_created=1168641440&p_sid=bLTfVJLi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSw1JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PS5hdmk*&p_li=&p_topview=1

-d