external storage for linux

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat Jan 5 18:44:35 UTC 2008

David Vincent wrote:

> thanks bart.  that's pretty similar to what i'm doing right now.  i keep
> multiple copies of my documents. media, and /home across a few machines
> and external drives in case of a single drive failure.  if there is a
> fire i can grab just the external drives and save my critical stuff.
>
> do the mybook drives spin down or go into any power-saving mode?  i'll
> confess i really really like western digital as a brand, they have
> always been good to me.

They do seem to go to a sleep mode after a period of inactivity.  I say
that only because sometimes when I do the "./sync", the prompt seems to
hesitate a few seconds before I see activity ramp up, then it seems
fine.  The delay isn't long, though.  I notice it only because I'm
typing the command right at the prompt and focusing on it.

They don't disappear from the desktop of my Linux system, if that's what
you mean.  There is just an initial pause when using it for the first
time after awhile of nothing.

I've had no problem with them, personally, although I've heard rumor of
some large terabyte-class sharing device they recently released that
won't let you save certain files depending on file extension...?  May
have to google that.