Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Bernard Peek bernard.peek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:37:18 UTC 2008

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:54:10 +0000
> schrieb Bernard Peek <bernard.peek at gmail.com>:
>

>> Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
>>> formatting has failed.  Any ideas?
>>>

>> I had a similar problem some years ago with a RedHat distro. The
>> fdisk program consistently segfaulted, I eventually found out by
>> looking at a different console. I never did find a fix.
>>

> This is very helpful :(. I could imagine dozens of reasons for his
> problem. The chance that a bug from an old fdisk from RedHat has
> survived years and made it into Ubuntu is rather small.
> This info may lead only in a wrong direction.

The bug didn't even survive until the next RedHat distro. But another
bug that causes a segfault would produce the same symptoms. It's easy
enough to check whether fdisk is failing during the installation. It's a
relatively simple way of getting more information about the problem. The
symptoms that OP report are consistent with this type of problem.