Installing Ubuntu

Andrew P. Burgess apb at live.ca
Wed Jan 2 20:40:11 UTC 2008

>>What I would do is boot up the Ubuntu live cd and use gparted to prepare the disk.

Great! I formatted the partition in ext3 and it showed up as available in the install.

>>I believe you've not told the installer that you want to use this partition as the root partition (normally signified as /)

After formatting the partition, I was able to tell it which partition I want to use.

>>That looks way too small.  It needs just about that in /boot, to be able to
hold the current boot image and one to replace it at the next upgrade.
Then you need room for, at least, /etc, /bin and /sbin, plus whatever space
is required for /usr, /var and /home if you don't put them on their own
partitions.  My root partition is currently using 266MB, so I can't see it
being much less than half that for a minimum _if_ you have /usr and /var on
separate partitions.  If you don't, /var can easily require many GB (var is
extremely flexible since it holds all the log files, caches, and mail
spool, so policy can make a huge difference to the size it will need),
and /usr should probably be at a bare minimum 3-5GB.

I've got 10 GB to use; I'd like to put the Linux equivalent of "My Documents" on a separate partition, formatted so both Linux and Windows can read/write to it. I think that'd be FAT23, right? Or is there a better option? Also, what folder do I mount to the "My Documents" partition?

And what's the suggested size for the root partition? If I should make a swap partition, how big? (And I mount /swap to the swap partition, right?)

Thanks to everyone who replied; I've almost got it, and I'm learning a lot!
Andrew