Installing Ubuntu

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 2 17:52:21 UTC 2008

Andrew P. Burgess wrote:
> I've been trying to install Ubuntu on a few different computers in a
> few different ways recently; I've never worked with Linux before and
> want to give it a try. My latest attempt was to install it on a
> partition, to dual boot with Vista. I tried to follow this article:
> http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first;
> but when I got to partitioning in the installation, there was no
> option to use the empty space on the hard drive; also, that portion of
> my hard drive was labeled "unusable." So I chose manual partitioning
> and selected another partition to install Ubuntu on. But when I tried
> to continue the installation after choosing the partition, I received
> message telling me to choose something for the root (I should have
> written it down Sad smile emoticon). I hope this all makes sense; if
> not, I'll try again!
>
> Should I format the partition I'm trying to install Ubuntu on while in
> Windows before trying to install it? If so, is ntfs what I need to
> format it in? Or am I doing something wrong in the Ubuntu side? I'd
> really appreciate any help! I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
The install program was asking you to name the root partition for the
install.

What I would do is boot up the Ubuntu live cd and use gparted to prepare
the disk.
Gparted is in the system/administration menu.
Gparted is pretty self-explanatory and easy to use.
You will have to be sure to unmount the hard drive before gparted can
play with it.
Your harddrive will show up on the desktop when you boot the cd, so,
just right click on it and
choose "unmount".
You will want to resize your windows partition (or, it sounds like
you've already done this),
and create a new partition on the remaining space.
You will format the new partition, likely ext3.
Then, when you choose install, the software will find the partitions and ask
you where you want to install.  Choose the new partition (probably hda3).
Hda1 is, as likely as not, your vista install.  Don't mess with that.

This is all off the top of my head here.
You may also want to create a swap partition while in gparted, but, in
all truth,
I think the installation program can do that for you during install.

If I have erred in any of this, surely someone will correct me.

good luck and welcome to Ubuntu!

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com