cannot send smtp email with exim

Peter Smerdon psmerdon at magma.ca
Fri Feb 29 13:47:11 UTC 2008

Hello all

I need to set up an MTA on my ubuntu laptop for pulling in my email when I am
working on the road. What I used to do on Debian was deliver the mail to my
spool with fetchmail, use procmail to hand off to spamassin or spamprobe, and
then read my email in emacs. I am not sure though how to set up exim4 to use
smtp when sending mail to my isp.

It appears my ubuntu laptop comes with no MTA installed, so I did:
apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy procmail fetchmail

Then for the smtp stuff:
apt-get install openssl ca-certificates libssl0.9.8 libssl-dev

My .fetchmail .procmail and .gnus files all are set up correctly as I can
recieve all my mail. However sending mail fails with an authentification error:

2008-02-28 14:50:55 1JUomL-0003S1-Hg ** psmerdon at magma.ca R=smarthost
T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<psmerdon at magma.ca>: host mail.magma.ca [216.254.136.210]: 550
authentication required 2008-02-28 14:50:55 1JUomL-0003S1-Hg Frozen (delivery
error message)

So, after installing exim4, doing the sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, my
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf contains:

dc_eximconfig_configtype='local'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='thruxton'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='mail.magma.ca'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='false'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

I also ran the script:
sudo sh /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/exim-gencert to generate
certificates and put the line:
MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = yes
at the top of my /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template

As you might be able to tell, I am not following any specific guide because to
be honest I couldn't find a good one for ubuntu and my motel connection is
spotty at best, So basically all works except I somehow need to tell exim4 to
use my password my isp spupplies me with when sending mail but I cannot see
where to do this, any help at all would be appreciated.

peter.

--

Peter.