Looking for a CLI tool for MP3 tagging

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Fri Feb 29 01:22:21 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:45 +0100, Joachim Schrod wrote:
>> But in
>> scripts, I have to type the uppercase letter. And there I don't
>> rely on the existence of aliasses
>
> I think you can define the alias in the script itself, no?

Yes, but that's not good style, IMHO. If one looks at a script, one
should see either the command that's invocated, or at max a
function that's defined. Aliasses diminish robustness of scripts
when one wants to understand them, a few weeks or months (or years)
later. Besides, the actual script was in Perl, since it needed to
parse the output of eyeD3 as well, and that's a hassle in shell.

Anyhow, it was no big deal, I just was astonished, because I didn't
anticipate mixed-case commands in a Unix CLI tool. After installing
the package, it went like this: I habitly called "man eyed3" and
thought: Well, no man pages. Grmbl. Let's see what docs are in the
package, "dpkg -L eyed3". Oh look, there IS a man page -- but the
command is called eyeD3! Strange, is it. Seems to be made by one of
the new kids that don't know the Unix way any more... :-)

Cheers,
	Joachim

PS: Don't take this too earnest. I don't do it either. :-) I'm
(literally) a Unix grey beard, programming in Unix since 1982. (My
first system was a real Version 7 Unix.) If I make a shell script,
it is /bin/sh and not one of those new-fangled things like ksh or
bash. Well, maybe sometimes. But sparsely, it needs to get used

PPS: I don't have something against bash. After having been really
shocked by the code of the original Bourne Shell (we had an AT&T
source license), I even helped Brian Fox to port bash to some
operating systems back in 1992 (anyone remember MUNIX?); that was
before Chet Ramey took over (in 1994/95 or so) and created bash 2.0.

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany