Can't compile

Michael michaelg at seadreamer.net
Tue Feb 26 05:29:02 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> | Conor Schaefer wrote:
> |> I think a lot of people fail to realize the remarkable amount of
> |> resources poured into the average binary install file... for instance,
> |> ever use subversion to compile something from source? You would be
> |> astounded at the amount of space you need to allot, just to create a
> |> several megabyte large install file.
> |>
> |> Programming is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
> |>

> | I agree, but, that install file should be what the customer gets.  Why
> | do I need to have several compilers and create my own install file every
> | time i want a different program or just an update to one i already
> | have.
>
> compiling is done on a per machine basis, and is tailored for your cpu,
> memory, video, etc for optimum speed.  with windows you get what they
> give you, you like it or not, you have no choice.  linux is choice, open
> source.  windows is not.
>

> Windows does some things right and thats one of them.
>
> this is what is exactly WRONG with windows.  dumbed down to run on every
> machine at the same speed.
>

> I have  been around PCs since DOS 2.0, but I am not a programmer, why
> should I
> | need to be to work with Linux?
>
> you dont need to be.  if you want pre compiled packages your free to use
> what is available from the repositories. if the program isnt available
> from the repositories then you need to download the source and issue 3
> simple commands, configure, make, make install.  whats so difficult with
> that?
>

> | IMHO and YMMV and all that.  :-)
> |

> | Mike
> |

> - --
> Steve Reilly
>
> http://reillyblog.com

What was so difficult with that is that I had to download and install
multiple packages to accomplish those three simple commands.  I probably
had to install over 25 megabytes of ancillary programs to do those three
simple commands.   That extra software is now resident in my system
using up my disk space.  Not all software is available in the repos.
All Window software comes with an installer.  My point with Windows is
that it is easier to install software.  Whether on not it is custom
fitted to my system is immaterial to me.  I want results, I am more
interested in the destination than the journey so to speak.  I use Linux
for a variety of reasons but I am not blind to its faults or to Windows
pluses for that matter.  You have a different philosophy when it comes
to using the software and that's fine.  I don't want to get into Windows
vs. Linux, it's been done to death.  I do want to thank everyone for
helping me with getting those three simple commands to work, I
appreciate it.

Mike