Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 25 23:18:20 UTC 2008

After all this time & hair pulling (don't have much anyway) I *finally*
managed to get the Agere/Lucent WinModem on my Thinkpad A21M to work on
Gutsy using gnome-ppp!

I had tried drivers, restricted modules/kernels, and just about
everything that I could possibly think of - all no go. Today I stumbled
across the fix. For others with similar, here is how:

1. Install linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-386 [1]
2. Reboot and ensure the modem is picked up in
System|Administration|Restricted Drivers Manager
3. Install gnome-ppp if not installed already
4. System|Administration|Networks - uncheck ethernet/wireless devices &
check the Modem device. Enable the connection, add the phone number,
username & password. On the Modem tab: /dev/modem, Options tab: uncheck all.
5. Applications|Internet|Gnome-ppp
Enter your required username, password & phone number. Under the "Modem"
tab click 'Setup' and on 'Device' click the 'Detect' button. It should
come back with: /deve/ttyLTM0. Other settings on that tab that work for me:
Type: Analog Modem
Speed: 115200
Phone Line: Tone
Volume: High
Dial Attempts: 1

On the Networking tab:
Dynamic IP address
Automatic DNS

On the Options Tab:
I unchecked everything.

Now the reason why I wasn't able to connect this way previously:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-ppp/+bug/84837
[Gnome PPP dialogue doesn't send one-time passwords to wvdial]

In all previous attempts I did not have "Remember Password" checked and
so each time the dialer would stall waiting for a password - it wouldn't
even break dialtone. I found this out finally by reviewing the session
log & then googling for 'gnome-ppp +wvDial +Please enter password'.
Found the bug report, ticked "Remember Password" and off it went!
Amazing...

Anyways, I'm a happy guy right now. :-)

[1] Note on the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-386 kernel - I've
found that some wireless devices I've tested do not work unless I use
the generic kernel. That's OK, as long as I know the difference I can
boot into the -386 kernel to use dialup on the laptop when needed and
back to generic for wireless etc.