Thin client question - (I think?)

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Feb 24 14:41:47 UTC 2008

Patton Echols wrote:

> So Questions:
>
> 1. Do I have that about right?  Or am I missing some major piece of the
> puzzle.

As others have pointed out, you need a terminal-services server. Your
existing SBS may be able to cover that requirement.

>     1.a. Would this be a Ubuntu thing for the clients?  Or something else.

A purpose-built distro is likely to be better.

> 2. Is there a dummy friendly guide that anyone knows of that will fill
> in the gaps of my limited knowledge?
> 3. What about users accessing thumb drives and cd/dvd drives locally?
> And if not, how is that handled?
>
> Note: This is a production office and is very unlikely want to shift
> gears to the Linux world.*  Also, even w/ the costs of incremental
> change out of desktops, probably will not hire an expert to do a thin
> client install unless some amateur (that's me) can demonstrate proof of
> concept with the existing installation.

Bear in mind the fact that software license costs are only a small part
of the overall cost. You need to demonstrate that the conversion project
is viable and will be a net benefit to the business. You need (as the
project champion) to prove that you have thought of everything that can
go wrong, and have contingency plans in place.

The one thing that is most likely to persuade the business is a
reference from a similar company that has done this and can tell them
that it was worthwhile. You could contact a manufacturer of thin-client
terminals who will certainly have reference sites, but will want to sell
their own technology.

bap at shrdlu.com