parted > gparted ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sat Feb 23 23:44:51 UTC 2008

Hi Gerald,
Now you play/sound like a cynic "Frechdachs" ! 0 ;-)

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 13:29 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:18:25 +0800
> schrieb SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net>:
>

> > On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 01:32 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> > > Why not fdisk and dd?
> > >
> > > Gerald
> >
> > Hi Gerald
> > I assume you are much more experienced than me !!! ;-)
> > So, why asking a counter question ??? ;-(
>
> I took me the freedom because you did.

Karl mentioned Parted !
And I wanted him to notice "G"Parted !!

He may already have considered between these two !?
Since I do not know: I asked ! ;-)

> > I am sure, not only me, as newbie, had appreciated your
> > more detailed experience and reason/s why YOU name FDISK and DD !?
>
> Because you can find it preinstalled on every linux installation
> that uses a file system. The smallest linux installation I can imagine
> has only two executable files, beside the bootloader. It is the
> linux kernel and busybox. Busybox is a tool collection and it contains
> fdisk and dd. From time to time it pays to know the basics.

Of course you are right and one has to know what a tool does !
Myself I know fdisk for more than 25 years and used it quite frequent !!
A newbie needs time to get to basics ...
... and sometimes an error happens before s/he got basics,
especially working with command lines a typo is fast possible !!! ;-(

> > I am sure:
> > With FDISK and DD my mess had ended in a real disaster last
> > weekend !!! ;-((
>
> Off course, but you would learn fast, because you would know
> why it happened, because it is not covered by a colorful GUI ;)

"Floppy disk times" with DOS command lines aren't standard anymore
today.
People like an comfortable, informative GUI to get things done easier
and
more secure !

Just FYI:
I am a Linux newbie, yes, and intensively learning and studying !
As retired IT Pro I am an oldie but near half a generation younger than
Karl, with his 72 years !? Hehehe ;-D

A nice Sunday wishes you
Einen schoenen Sonntag wuenscht Dir
svobi

PS: Just a question and not to be replied here !
Do you have / know an attractive recommendation how to partition with 3
OS'es:

Win XPP plus a separate data partition
OS/2 Warp 4 with 2 more partitions
Ubuntu with /BOOT / SWAP / ROOT and HOME
and possibly one more /ROOT for a test Linux/Ubuntu

with or without the OS/2 Bootmanager and considering
LVM yes or no !? ;-)