Environment variables (it was Re: Gridsphere deployment)

Bob Holtzman holtzm at sonic.net
Thu Feb 21 20:25:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Leandro Doctors wrote:
>
> > Am Di 19 Feb 2008 schrieb John DeCarlo:
> >> Did you make sure that all environment variables are defined in places
> >> where they will persist from one session to another?
> > Nop. I have to re-define them at every login. Mmmmmmm
> >
> > I've found this[0]:
> > [...]
> >> 5.4 Systemwide environment configuration
> > [...]
> >> There is NO DEFAULT WAY of setting the variables in Debian
> > Is this also valid for (Debian-based) Ubuntu?
>
> yes, but it doesn't mean that "there is no way to guarantee that variables
> get propagated to all users".  It just means there are a few ways to do it,
> none of which is "default".
>
> > Where should I define the variables so they propagate and persist to all
> > existing and future users?
>
> /etc/profile
> /etc/bash.bashrc
>
> are analagous to your .profile and .bashrc files and get executed for all
> users before their personal versions, and
>
> /etc/skel/.bashrc
> /etc/skel/.profile
>
> are the _initial_ .profile and .bashrc files that get copied to new users.

I've been trying to export my ISP's NNTP server and can't get it to
persist. This looks like the reason. Does the information have to be
entered manually to persist or is there a way to make "export" work?

I am coming from a redhat environment and it looks like a debian based
distro has a learning curve for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Bob Holtzman