7.10 Install turned Windows partition into swap space!

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 07:58:27 UTC 2008

On 2/20/08, Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 23:44 +0200, Alexandra Zaharia wrote:
> > On 2/20/08, Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:
> > > /dev/sda5 is the swap partition and is setup just fine.
> > >
> > >  What I'm saying is that the install process initialized _two_ swap
> > >  partitions. One was the resized windows partition, the other was a newly
> > >  created partition. The newly created partition is up and running as swap
> > >  just fine.
> >
> > Whoops... I get it now.
> >

> > >  (cat /proc/swaps shows this as expected)
> > >

> > Erm, I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas (odd thing, really!) but maybe
> > someone else turns up with a suggestion.
>
> Thanks... I'm not concerned too much about repairing the windows
> install. I just want to know if anyone has ever seen this, since I'll be
> doing dozens of installs this weekend, and I'd like to be able head off
> any trouble.
>
> If this is completely unheard of, then I'll assume it was user error,
> since I wasn't sitting with the student during the install, and I didn't
> check up on all the steps he took.

It is always wise to backup precious data before you format partitions
or mess with your hard disks in another way. However perfect the
software may be, you can always be sleepy and accidentally install
Ubuntu over your data partition (which should include my documents.
Stupid Microsoft sets it default at the C partition)

This is something you should tell people at the install fest. Is there
a possibility of having a large enough data server to lend everyone a
10 GB Samba space to back some things up? (windoze can be reinstalled.
Recreating the documents is usually a bit more work) Don't know how
many people will be there, but 10 GB usually remains manageable and is
enoug to back the data up which can't be re-downloaded.

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.