How to tell GNOME menu items about environment variables?

Rich Rudnick rich at aphroneo.net
Wed Feb 20 18:20:35 UTC 2008

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get a Japanese input method to work with an application
> launched from GNOME. This works fine from the terminal with:
>
> $ export LANGUAGE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
> $ export LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
> $ export LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8"
> $ export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
> $ kinput2-canna &
> $ <execute command exactly as in GNOME menu item>

If all you want to do is have the environment variables recognized in
the gnome environment (and run the command from the menu) simply add the
environment variables to ~/.gnomerc (create the file if needed). This
file is read during gnome startup. I use it to add my ~/bin dir to the
path so the Alt-F2 run command dialog will find my custom commands there.